Royal Canadian Mint Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. R-9)
- HTMLFull Document: Royal Canadian Mint Act (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Royal Canadian Mint Act [66 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Royal Canadian Mint Act [174 KB]
Act current to 2023-05-17 and last amended on 2016-12-15. Previous Versions
Master and Board of Directors (continued)
Marginal note:Re-appointment of director
13 A director on the expiration of his term of office is eligible for re-appointment to the Board in the same or another capacity.
- R.S., c. R-8, s. 13
Marginal note:Temporary substitute director
14 The Governor in Council may, on such terms and conditions as the Governor in Council may prescribe, appoint a temporary substitute director if a director, other than the Master, is unable at any time to perform the duties of office by reason of absence or incapacity.
- R.S., 1985, c. R-9, s. 14
- R.S., 1985, c. 35 (3rd Supp.), s. 11(F)
Marginal note:Vacancy on Board
15 Where the office of a director becomes vacant during the term of the director appointed thereto, the Governor in Council may appoint a director for the remainder of that term.
- R.S., c. R-8, s. 13
Marginal note:Salary and benefits
16 (1) The directors shall be paid such salary as is fixed by the Governor in Council and shall receive such benefits as are fixed by the Board.
(2) Each director is entitled to be paid by the Mint such travel and other expenses incurred by the director while absent from his ordinary place of residence in the course of his duties under this Act as may be fixed by by-law of the Mint.
- R.S., 1985, c. R-9, s. 16
- R.S., 1985, c. 35 (3rd Supp.), s. 12
Staff of the Mint
Marginal note:Officers and employees
17 (1) The Mint may appoint such officers, agents and employees as are necessary for the proper conduct of the work of the Mint.
(2) The remuneration of officers, agents and employees of the Mint shall be a charge against the revenues of the Mint.
- R.S., c. R-8, s. 15
Marginal note:Master, officers and employees not part of federal public administration
18 (1) The Master, officers and employees of the Mint are not part of the federal public administration but shall be deemed to be employed in the federal public administration for the purposes of the Government Employees Compensation Act and any regulations made pursuant to section 9 of the Aeronautics Act.
Marginal note:Master and employees deemed employed in public service
(2) The Master, officers and employees of the Mint shall be deemed to be employed in the public service for the purposes of the Public Service Superannuation Act, and the Mint shall be deemed to be a Public Service corporation for the purposes of that Act.
Marginal note:Contracting powers not limited by collective agreements
(3) No collective agreement entered into by the Mint with its employees pursuant to Part I of the Canada Labour Code shall prohibit or limit the power of the Mint to enter into contracts with any person to provide for the procurement by the Mint of any goods or services from that person or the minting of coins by that person.
- R.S., 1985, c. R-9, s. 18
- R.S., 1985, c. 35 (3rd Supp.), s. 13(F)
- 2003, c. 22, ss. 224(E), 225(E)
19 The Board may make by-laws respecting
(a) the duties and conduct of officers, agents and employees of the Mint;
(b) the conditions of employment and the fixing of the remuneration of officers, agents and employees of the Mint;
(c) the time and place for the holding of meetings of the Board, the quorum at those meetings and the procedure in all business at those meetings; and
(d) generally the conduct and management of the affairs of the Mint.
- R.S., c. R-8, s. 14
- 1984, c. 31, s. 14
Marginal note:Borrowing power
20 (1) The Mint may, for the attainment of its objects, borrow money from the Consolidated Revenue Fund or any other source, but the total amount outstanding at any time may not exceed 75 million dollars or such greater amount as may be specified in an appropriation Act.
Marginal note:Government loans
(2) The Minister of Finance may lend money to the Mint from the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
Marginal note:Conditions of borrowing
(3) The Mint shall not enter into any particular transaction to borrow money pursuant to subsection (1) without the approval of the Minister of Finance with respect to the time and the terms and conditions of the transaction.
- R.S., 1985, c. R-9, s. 20
- R.S., 1985, c. 35 (3rd Supp.), s. 14
- 1999, c. 4, s. 7
21 to 25 [Repealed, R.S., 1985, c. 35 (3rd Supp.), s. 14]
26 (1) The Auditor General of Canada is the auditor of the Mint.
Marginal note:Inspection of stores and metals
(2) The Auditor General of Canada shall inspect the inventories of stores and metals of the Mint at least once in each year.
- R.S., c. R-8, s. 24
- 1976-77, c. 34, s. 30(F)
- 1984, c. 31, s. 14
- Date modified: