Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (continued)
(a) enter into arrangements, including an arrangement to provide training, with any person, any department or agency of the Government of Canada or of a province, any regulatory agency or department of a foreign government or any international agency;
(b) establish and maintain programs to provide the Commission with scientific, technical and other advice and information;
(b.1) establish and maintain a participant funding program to facilitate the participation of the public in proceedings under this Act;
(c) establish, and fix the terms of reference of, advisory, standing and other committees;
(d) establish and maintain offices and laboratories;
(e) disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public concerning the activities of the Commission and the effects, on the environment or on the health or safety of persons, of the development, production or use of nuclear energy or the production, possession or use of a nuclear substance, prescribed equipment or prescribed information;
(f) provide, under an appropriate security classification, to any department or agency of a foreign government or international agency with which Canada or the Commission has entered into an arrangement for the provision of such information, information relating to the development, production or use of nuclear energy or the production, possession or use of a nuclear substance, prescribed equipment or prescribed information including, after obtaining such assurances as it considers necessary to protect any commercial interest, protected commercial information;
(g) charge any fees that may be prescribed for any information, product or service that it provides under this Act or for the participant funding program that it establishes and maintains under this Act;
(h) certify and decertify prescribed equipment for the purposes of this Act;
(i) certify and decertify persons referred to in paragraph 44(1)(k) as qualified to carry out their duties under this Act or the duties of their employment, as the case may be; and
(j) authorize the return to work of persons whose dose of radiation has or may have exceeded the prescribed radiation dose limits.
Marginal note:Refund of fees
(2) The Commission may, under the prescribed circumstances, refund all or part of any fee referred to in paragraph (1)(g).
Marginal note:Expenditure of revenue from fees
(3) The Commission may spend for its purposes the revenue from the fees it charges for licences or classes of licences issued under section 24 in the fiscal year in which the revenues are received or in the next fiscal year.
- 1997, c. 9, s. 21
- 2001, c. 34, s. 58
- 2010, c. 12, s. 2150
- 2013, c. 33, s. 173
Marginal note:Establishment of panels
22 (1) The President may establish a panel of the Commission consisting of one or more members and, subject to subsection (3), the panel may, as directed by the President, exercise or perform any or all of the powers, duties and functions of the Commission.
Marginal note:Act of a panel
(2) An act of a panel is deemed to be an act of the Commission.
(3) A panel may not make by-laws or regulations or review a decision or order of the Commission.
Marginal note:Decision-making by Commission
23 (1) The President or the presiding member shall not vote at a meeting of the Commission or a panel of the Commission, as the case may be, except that the President or presiding member has and shall cast the deciding vote in case of an equal division.
Marginal note:Member ceasing to hold office
(2) A person who has ceased to be a member may, with the authorization of the President and for such period as the President may fix, take part in the disposition of any matter in which that person became engaged while holding office as a member, and a person so authorized shall, for that purpose, be deemed to be a member of the Commission.
Marginal note:Where member unable to act
(3) Where any member has taken part in a matter and for any reason is unable to take part in the disposition of the matter, the remaining members who took part in the matter may, with the authorization of the President, make the disposition notwithstanding that the quorum may have been lost.
Marginal note:Where one-member panel unable to act
(4) Where a panel consists of one member and the member is at any time unable to dispose of a matter that is before the panel, the President may authorize another member to consider and dispose of the matter.
24 (1) The Commission may establish classes of licences authorizing the licensee to carry on any activity described in any of paragraphs 26(a) to (f) that is specified in the licence for the period that is specified in the licence.
(2) The Commission may issue, renew, suspend in whole or in part, amend, revoke or replace a licence, or authorize its transfer, on receipt of an application
Marginal note:Refund of fees
(3) The Commission may, under the prescribed circumstances, refund all or part of any fee referred to in paragraph (2)(c).
Marginal note:Conditions for issuance, etc.
(4) No licence shall be issued, renewed, amended or replaced — and no authorization to transfer one given — unless, in the opinion of the Commission, the applicant or, in the case of an application for an authorization to transfer the licence, the transferee
(a) is qualified to carry on the activity that the licence will authorize the licensee to carry on; and
(b) will, in carrying on that activity, make adequate provision for the protection of the environment, the health and safety of persons and the maintenance of national security and measures required to implement international obligations to which Canada has agreed.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions of licences
(5) A licence may contain any term or condition that the Commission considers necessary for the purposes of this Act, including a condition that the applicant provide a financial guarantee in a form that is acceptable to the Commission.
Marginal note:Application of proceeds of financial guarantee
(6) The Commission may authorize the application of the proceeds of any financial guarantee referred to in subsection (5) in such manner as it considers appropriate for the purposes of this Act.
(7) The Commission shall grant to any person who provided a financial guarantee under subsection (5) a refund of any of the proceeds of the guarantee that have not been spent and may give the person, in addition to the refund, interest at the prescribed rate in respect of each month or fraction of a month between the time the financial guarantee is provided and the time the refund is granted, calculated on the amount of the refund.
(8) [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 124]
- 1997, c. 9, s. 24
- 2001, c. 34, s. 59(F)
- 2012, c. 19, s. 124
Marginal note:Renewal, etc.
25 The Commission may, on its own motion, renew, suspend in whole or in part, amend, revoke or replace a licence under the prescribed conditions.
26 Subject to the regulations, no person shall, except in accordance with a licence,
(a) possess, transfer, import, export, use or abandon a nuclear substance, prescribed equipment or prescribed information;
(b) mine, produce, refine, convert, enrich, process, reprocess, package, transport, manage, store or dispose of a nuclear substance;
(c) produce or service prescribed equipment;
(d) operate a dosimetry service for the purposes of this Act;
(e) prepare a site for, construct, operate, modify, decommission or abandon a nuclear facility; or
(f) construct, operate, decommission or abandon a nuclear-powered vehicle or bring a nuclear-powered vehicle into Canada.
Records and Reports
Marginal note:Records and reports
27 Every licensee and every prescribed person shall
(a) keep the prescribed records, including a record of the dose of radiation received by or committed to each person who performs duties in connection with any activity that is authorized by this Act or who is present at a place where that activity is carried on, retain those records for the prescribed time and disclose them under the prescribed circumstances; and
(b) make the prescribed reports and file them in the prescribed manner, including a report on
(i) any theft or loss of a nuclear substance, prescribed equipment or prescribed information that is used in carrying on any activity that is authorized by this Act, and
(ii) any contravention of this Act in relation to an activity that is authorized by this Act and any measure that has been taken in respect of the contravention.
- Date modified: