Energy Monitoring Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. E-8)
- HTMLFull Document: Energy Monitoring Act (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Energy Monitoring Act [40 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Energy Monitoring Act [266 KB]
Act current to 2023-05-17
Disclosure of Statistics and Information (continued)
Marginal note:Evidentiary privilege
35 Notwithstanding any other Act or law, no person who obtains any statistic, information or documentation under this Act shall be required, in connection with any legal proceedings, other than proceedings relating to the administration or enforcement of this Act or criminal proceedings under this Act or any other Act of Parliament, to give evidence relating to any statistic, information or documentation that is privileged under this Act or to produce any statement, document, writing or portion thereof containing any such statistic, information or documentation.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 112, s. 35
Marginal note:Disclosure to public
36 (1) Notwithstanding anything in this Act, the Minister may disclose any statistic, information or documentation obtained under this Act where he considers the disclosure to be in the public interest, taking into account the competitive position of the individual, corporation, partnership, trust, organization or association of persons affected by the disclosure.
Marginal note:Notification and opportunity to make representations
(2) Where the Minister proposes to disclose any statistic, information or documentation pursuant to subsection (1) in a form that identifies or permits the identification of the individual, corporation, partnership, trust, organization or association of persons to which the statistic, information or documentation relates, the Minister shall so notify that individual, corporation, partnership, trust, organization or association of persons and afford him or it a reasonable opportunity to make representations with respect to the effect that the disclosure of the statistic, information or documentation might have on his or its competitive position.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 112, s. 36
Marginal note:Obligation or duty on persons
37 (1) Any obligation or duty imposed by or under this Act on any energy enterprise that is
(a) a partnership shall be carried out or complied with by the partners of the partnership;
(b) a trust shall be carried out or complied with by the trustee of the trust; or
(c) an organization shall be carried out or complied with by such persons responsible for the administration and management of the organization as are prescribed.
(2) Any obligation or duty imposed by or under this Act on any association of persons shall be carried out or complied with by the persons forming part of that association.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 112, s. 37
Marginal note:Failure to file return or provide supplementary information
38 Every person who
(a) fails to file a return as and when required by this Act,
(b) fails to comply with a requirement of the Minister pursuant to section 7 or 13,
(c) fails to comply with section 8, 14, 30, 31 or 32, or
(d) contravenes or fails to comply with section 33
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine not exceeding twenty-five thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or to both.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 112, s. 38
Marginal note:False information
39 Every person who, under this Act, submits any statistic, information or documentation, makes any statement or answers any question, whether in connection with any return filed under this Act or any audit or examination carried out pursuant to this Act, knowing that the statistic, information, documentation, statement or answer is false or misleading or misrepresents or fails to disclose a material fact, is guilty of an offence and liable
(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding fifty thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both; or
(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding two hundred thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 112, s. 39
Marginal note:Officers, etc., of corporation
40 Where a corporation commits an offence under this Act, any officer, director or agent of the corporation who directed, authorized, assented to, acquiesced in or participated in the commission of the offence is a party to and guilty of the offence and is liable on conviction to the punishment provided for the offence whether or not the corporation has been prosecuted or convicted.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 112, s. 40
41 The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) defining the term “organization” for the purposes of this Act;
(b) exempting any energy enterprise or oil and gas dealer, or any class thereof, from the requirement of filing a return under this Act;
(c) prescribing any matter or thing that is by this Act to be prescribed; and
(d) respecting such other matters or things as are necessary to carry out the provisions of this Act.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 112, s. 41
Marginal note:Act referred to Committee of House of Commons
42 This Act shall be deemed to be referred, for review and report, to the first sitting of the Committee of the House of Commons that normally considers oil and gas matters, following February 18, 1988.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 112, s. 42
- Date modified: