Marginal note:Date of application abroad deemed date of application in Canada
34 (1) Despite subsection 33(1), when an applicant files an application for the registration of a trademark in Canada after the applicant or the applicant’s predecessor in title has applied, in or for any country of the Union other than Canada, for the registration of the same or substantially the same trademark in association with the same kind of goods or services, the filing date of the application in or for the other country is deemed to be the filing date of the application in Canada and the applicant is entitled to priority in Canada accordingly despite any intervening use in Canada or making known in Canada or any intervening application or registration, if
(a) the filing date of the application in Canada is within a period of six months after the date on which the earliest application was filed in or for any country of the Union for the registration of the same or substantially the same trademark in association with the same kind of goods or services;
(b) the applicant files a request for priority in the prescribed time and manner and informs the Registrar of the filing date and country or office of filing of the application on which the request is based;
(c) the applicant, at the filing date of the application in Canada, is a citizen or national of or domiciled in a country of the Union or has a real and effective industrial or commercial establishment in a country of the Union; and
(d) the applicant furnishes, in accordance with any request under subsections (2) and (3), evidence necessary to fully establish the applicant’s right to priority.
Marginal note:Evidence requests
(2) The Registrar may request the evidence before the day on which the trademark is registered under section 40.
Marginal note:How and when evidence must be furnished
(3) The Registrar may specify in the request the manner in which the evidence must be furnished and the period within which it must be furnished.
Marginal note:Withdrawal of request
(4) An applicant may, in the prescribed time and manner, withdraw a request for priority.
(5) An applicant is not permitted to apply under section 47 for an extension of the six-month period referred to in paragraph (1)(a) until that period has ended, and the Registrar is not permitted to extend the period by more than seven days.
- R.S., 1985, c. T-13, s. 34
- 1992, c. 1, s. 133
- 1993, c. 15, s. 65
- 1994, c. 47, s. 199
- 2014, c. 20, s. 340, c. 32, s. 53
- Date modified: