Canadian Human Rights Act
Marginal note:Commission established
26 (1) A commission is established to be known as the Canadian Human Rights Commission, in this Act referred to as the “Commission”, consisting of a Chief Commissioner, a Deputy Chief Commissioner, members referred to as the “Accessibility Commissioner” and the “Pay Equity Commissioner” and not less than three or more than six other members, to be appointed by the Governor in Council.
(2) The Chief Commissioner, the Deputy Chief Commissioner, the Accessibility Commissioner and the Pay Equity Commissioner are full-time members of the Commission and the other members may be appointed as full-time or part-time members of the Commission.
Marginal note:Required qualifications — Pay Equity Commissioner
(2.1) The Governor in Council must take into consideration, in appointing the Pay Equity Commissioner, knowledge and experience in relation to pay equity matters.
Marginal note:Term of appointment
(3) Each full-time member of the Commission may be appointed for a term not exceeding seven years and each part-time member may be appointed for a term not exceeding three years.
(4) Each member of the Commission holds office during good behaviour but may be removed by the Governor in Council on address of the Senate and House of Commons.
(5) A member of the Commission is eligible to be re-appointed in the same or another capacity.
- R.S., 1985, c. H-6, s. 26
- 2018, c. 27, s. 419
- 2018, c. 27, s. 439
- 2019, c. 10, s. 148
- Date modified: