Marginal note:Commissioner may grant patents
27 (1) The Commissioner shall grant a patent for an invention to the inventor or the inventor’s legal representative if an application for the patent in Canada is filed in accordance with this Act and all other requirements for the issuance of a patent under this Act are met.
Marginal note:Application requirements
(2) The prescribed application fee must be paid and the application must be filed in accordance with the regulations by the inventor or the inventor’s legal representative and the application must contain a petition and a specification of the invention.
(3) The specification of an invention must
(a) correctly and fully describe the invention and its operation or use as contemplated by the inventor;
(b) set out clearly the various steps in a process, or the method of constructing, making, compounding or using a machine, manufacture or composition of matter, in such full, clear, concise and exact terms as to enable any person skilled in the art or science to which it pertains, or with which it is most closely connected, to make, construct, compound or use it;
(c) in the case of a machine, explain the principle of the machine and the best mode in which the inventor has contemplated the application of that principle; and
(d) in the case of a process, explain the necessary sequence, if any, of the various steps, so as to distinguish the invention from other inventions.
(4) The specification must end with a claim or claims defining distinctly and in explicit terms the subject-matter of the invention for which an exclusive privilege or property is claimed.
Marginal note:Separate claims
(5) For greater certainty, if a claim defines the subject-matter of an invention in the alternative, each alternative is a separate claim for the purposes of sections 2, 28.1 to 28.3, 56 and 78.3.
(5.1) In the case of a machine, or in any other case in which an invention admits of illustration by means of drawings, the applicant shall, as part of the application, furnish drawings of the invention that clearly show all parts of the invention.
(5.2) Each drawing is to include references corresponding with the specification. The Commissioner may, as the Commissioner sees fit, require further drawings or dispense with the requirement to furnish any drawing.
Marginal note:Requirements not met
(6) If, on its filing date, an application does not meet the requirements of subsection (2), other than the payment of the application fee, the Commissioner shall, by notice, require the applicant to meet those requirements on or before the prescribed date.
Marginal note:Application fee not paid
(7) If, on the filing date of the application, the application fee is not paid, the Commissioner shall, by notice, require the applicant to pay the application fee and the prescribed late fee on or before the prescribed date.
Marginal note:What may not be patented
(8) No patent shall be granted for any mere scientific principle or abstract theorem.
- R.S., 1985, c. P-4, s. 27
- R.S., 1985, c. 33 (3rd Supp.), s. 8
- 1993, c. 15, s. 31, c. 44, s. 192
- 2014, c. 39, s. 120
- 2018, c. 27, s. 188
- Date modified: