Marginal note:Suspension of licence
27 (1) The Chairperson of an Authority may suspend a licence or pilotage certificate for a period not exceeding fifteen days where the Chairperson has reason to believe that the licensed pilot or the holder of the pilotage certificate
(a) while having the conduct of a ship or being on duty on board ship pursuant to a regulation of an Authority requiring a ship to have a licensed pilot or holder of a pilotage certificate on board, contravened subsection 25(3) or (4);
(b) has reported for duty and, in the circumstances, would have been in contravention of subsection 25(3) if the licensed pilot or holder of the pilotage certificate had been on duty;
(c) has been negligent in the duty of the licensed pilot or holder of the pilotage certificate; or
(d) does not meet the qualifications required of a holder of a licence or pilotage certificate.
Marginal note:Confirmation of oral suspension
(2) Where the Chairperson of an Authority suspends a licence or pilotage certificate orally, the Chairperson shall, within forty-eight hours after the suspension, confirm the suspension in writing together with the reasons therefor to the licensed pilot or holder of the pilotage certificate at the address of that pilot or holder as shown on the register kept by the Authority pursuant to section 32.
Marginal note:Report to Authority
(3) Where the Chairperson of an Authority suspends a licence or pilotage certificate, the Chairperson shall, within forty-eight hours after the suspension, report the suspension to the Authority.
Marginal note:Suspension or cancellation by Authority
(4) Where the Authority receives a report pursuant to subsection (3), it may
(a) approve or revoke the suspension under subsection (1);
(b) suspend the licence or pilotage certificate
(i) for a further period not exceeding one year, or
(ii) for an indefinite period until the licensed pilot or holder of the pilotage certificate shows the ability to meet the qualifications prescribed by the regulations; or
(c) cancel the licence or pilotage certificate.
Marginal note:Notice to pilot
(5) No action shall be taken pursuant to paragraph (4)(b) or (c) unless, before the suspension by the Chairperson under subsection (1) terminates, the Authority gives written notice to the licensed pilot or holder of the pilotage certificate setting out the action the Authority proposes to take and the reasons therefor.
- R.S., 1985, c. P-14, s. 27
- 2006, c. 9, s. 294(E)
- Date modified: