Children’s Special Allowances Act
Marginal note:Communication of privileged information
10 (1) Except as provided in this section or section 11, all information with respect to any individual obtained by the Minister in the course of the administration of this Act and the regulations or the carrying out of an agreement entered into under section 11 is privileged and no person shall knowingly make available or allow to be made available to any person not legally entitled thereto any such information.
Marginal note:Release of information
(2) Any information obtained by or on behalf of the Minister in the course of the administration or enforcement of this Act or the regulations or the carrying out of an agreement entered into under section 11 may be communicated to any person if it can reasonably be regarded as necessary for the purposes of the administration or enforcement of this Act, the Income Tax Act, the Canada Disability Savings Act or the Canada Education Savings Act or a program administered under an agreement entered into under section 12 of the Canada Education Savings Act.
Marginal note:Release of information to members of Parliament
(2.1) Any information with respect to an individual obtained pursuant to this Act or the regulations may be made available or allowed to be made available to a member of Parliament where such information is necessary to respond to a request made by or on behalf of that individual to the member of Parliament for information in relation to that individual.
Marginal note:Evidence and production of documents
(3) Notwithstanding any other Act or law, no officer or employee of Her Majesty shall be required, in connection with any legal proceedings, to produce or to give evidence relating to any information that is privileged under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Application of subsections (1) and (3)
(4) Subsections (1) and (3) do not apply in respect of
(a) proceedings relating to the administration or enforcement of this Act; or
(b) proceedings, either by indictment or on summary conviction, that have been commenced by the laying of an information, under an Act of Parliament, where the disclosure of information is required for the purpose of complying with a subpoena or warrant issued by a court or an order made by a court.
(5) Every person who knowingly contravenes this section by communicating or allowing to be communicated to any person privileged information or by allowing any person to inspect or have access to any statement or other writing containing any such information is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
- 1992, c. 48, s. 23 (Sch., s. 10)
- 1995, c. 33, s. 47
- 1996, c. 11, ss. 50, 97, 101, c. 16, s. 61
- 1998, c. 19, s. 258
- 2004, c. 26, s. 18
- 2007, c. 35, s. 137
- Date modified: