Marginal note:Directors liable for wages
797 (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), the directors of a bank holding company are jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable to each employee of the bank holding company for all debts not exceeding six months wages payable to the employee for services performed for the bank holding company while they are directors.
Marginal note:Conditions precedent
(2) A director is not liable under subsection (1) unless
(a) the bank holding company has been sued for the debt within six months after it has become due and execution has been returned unsatisfied in whole or in part;
(b) the bank holding company has commenced liquidation and dissolution proceedings or has been dissolved and a claim for the debt has been proven within six months after the earlier of the date of commencement of the liquidation and dissolution proceedings and the date of dissolution; or
(c) the bank holding company has made an assignment or a bankruptcy order has been made against it under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and a claim for the debt has been proved within six months after the assignment or bankruptcy order.
(3) A director is not liable under subsection (1) unless the director is sued for a debt referred to in that subsection while a director or within two years after the director has ceased to be a director.
Marginal note:Amount due after execution
(4) Where execution referred to in paragraph (2)(a) has issued, the amount recoverable from a director is the amount remaining unsatisfied after execution.
Marginal note:Subrogation of director
(5) Where a director of a bank holding company pays a debt referred to in subsection (1) that is proven in liquidation and dissolution or bankruptcy proceedings, the director is entitled to any preference that the employee would have been entitled to and, where a judgment has been obtained, the director is entitled to an assignment of the judgment.
Marginal note:Contribution entitlement
(6) A director of a bank holding company who has satisfied a claim under this section is entitled to a contribution from the other directors of the bank holding company who are liable for the claim.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183
- 2004, c. 25, s. 186
- 2005, c. 54, s. 114(E)
- Date modified: