Marginal note:Deposits that fall below $150,000
545 (1) An authorized foreign bank shall, in respect of its business in Canada, ensure that, on each day that is at least thirty days after the date of the order under subsection 534(1) made in respect of it,
A/B ≤ 0.01
- is the sum of all amounts each of which is the sum of all the deposits held by the authorized foreign bank at the end of a day in the preceding thirty days each of which deposits is less than $150,000 and payable in Canada; and
- is the sum of all amounts each of which is the sum of all deposits held by the authorized foreign bank at the end of a day in those preceding thirty days and payable in Canada.
Marginal note:Exchange rate
(2) For the purpose of subsection (1), the rate of exchange that shall be applied on any day in determining the amount in Canadian dollars of a deposit in a currency of a country other than Canada shall be determined in accordance with any regulations that may be made.
Meaning of deposit
(3) For the purpose of subsection (1), deposit has the meaning that would be given to it by the schedule to the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation Act for the purposes of deposit insurance if that schedule were read without reference to subsections 2(2), (5) and (6) of that schedule, but does not include prescribed deposits.
Marginal note:Notice before opening account or providing prescribed product
(4) Before an authorized foreign bank opens a deposit account in Canada or provides in Canada any prescribed product that relates to a deposit, the authorized foreign bank shall, at the prescribed time and place and in the prescribed form and manner, give the person requesting the opening of the account or the provision of the product
(a) a notice in writing that the deposits to the deposit account, or that the deposit that relates to the prescribed product, as the case may be, will not be insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation or, if the request is made by telephone, a verbal notice to that effect; and
(b) any other information that may be prescribed.
Marginal note:Other notice
(5) An authorized foreign bank shall, in accordance with the regulations,
(a) post notices at all of its branches, and at prescribed points of service, in Canada where deposits are accepted, and on all of its websites at which deposits are accepted in Canada, to inform the public that deposits with the authorized foreign bank are not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation; and
(b) include in its advertisements notices to inform the public that deposits with the authorized foreign bank are not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation.
(6) The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) respecting the determination of rates of exchange referred to in subsection (2);
(a.1) prescribing the deposits referred to in subsection (3) and the terms and conditions with respect to the acceptance of those deposits;
(b) prescribing the time and place at which and the form and manner in which notices referred to in subsection (4) are to be given and the other information to be contained in the notices; and
(c) respecting notices referred to in subsection (5).
- 1991, c. 46, s. 545
- 1996, c. 6, s. 17
- 1999, c. 28, s. 35
- 2007, c. 6, s. 85
- 2012, c. 5, s. 61
- Date modified: