Marginal note:Loan workouts
472 (1) Despite anything in this Part, if a bank or any of its subsidiaries has made a loan to an entity and, under the terms of the agreement between the bank, or any of its subsidiaries, and the entity with respect to the loan and any other documents governing the terms of the loan, a default has occurred, the bank may acquire
(a) if the entity is a body corporate, all or any of the shares of the body corporate;
(b) if the entity is an unincorporated entity, all or any of the ownership interests in the entity;
(c) all or any of the shares or all or any of the ownership interests in any entity that is an affiliate of the entity; or
(d) all or any of the shares of a body corporate that is primarily engaged in holding shares of, ownership interests in or assets acquired from the entity or any of its affiliates.
Marginal note:Obligation of bank
(2) If a bank acquires shares or ownership interests in an entity under subsection (1), the bank shall, within five years after acquiring them, do all things necessary to ensure that the bank does not control the entity or have a substantial investment in the entity.
(3) Despite subsection (1), if a bank that was in existence immediately before June 1, 1992 had an investment in an entity on September 27, 1990 that is a substantial investment within the meaning of section 10 and the bank later increases that substantial investment by way of an investment made under subsection (1), the bank shall, within five years after increasing the substantial investment, do all things necessary to ensure that its substantial investment in the entity is no greater than it was on September 27, 1990.
(4) The Superintendent may, in the case of any particular bank that makes an application under this subsection, extend the period referred to in subsection (2) or (3) for any further period or periods, and on any terms and conditions, that the Superintendent considers necessary.
Marginal note:Exception — entities controlled by foreign governments
(5) Despite anything in this Part, if a bank has made a loan to, or holds a debt obligation of, the government of a foreign country or an entity controlled by the government of a foreign country and, under the terms of the agreement between the bank and that government or the entity, as the case may be, and any other documents governing the terms of the loan or debt obligation, a default has occurred, the bank may acquire all or any of the shares of, or ownership interests in, that entity or in any other entity designated by that government, if the acquisition is part of a debt restructuring program of that government.
Marginal note:Time for holding shares
(6) If a bank acquires any shares or ownership interests under subsection (5), the bank may, on any terms and conditions that the Superintendent considers appropriate, hold those shares or ownership interests for an indeterminate period or for any other period that the Superintendent may specify.
(7) If, under subsection (1), a bank acquires control of, or acquires or increases a substantial investment in, an entity that it would otherwise be permitted to acquire or increase under section 468, the bank may retain control of the entity or continue to hold the substantial investment for an indeterminate period, if the approval in writing of the Minister is obtained before the end of the period referred to in subsection (2) or (3), including any extension of it granted under subsection (4).
- 1991, c. 46, s. 472
- 1997, c. 15, s. 59
- 2001, c. 9, s. 127
- Date modified: