Marginal note:Joinder of counts
Marginal note:Each count separate
(2) Where there is more than one count in an indictment, each count may be treated as a separate indictment.
Marginal note:Severance of accused and counts
(3) The court may, where it is satisfied that the interests of justice so require, order
Marginal note:Order for severance
(4) An order under subsection (3) may be made before or during the trial but, if the order is made during the trial, the jury shall be discharged from giving a verdict on the counts
Marginal note:Subsequent procedure
(5) The counts in respect of which a jury is discharged pursuant to paragraph (4)(a) may subsequently be proceeded on in all respects as if they were contained in a separate indictment.
(6) Where an order is made in respect of an accused or defendant under paragraph (3)(b), the accused or defendant may be tried separately on the counts in relation to which the order was made as if they were contained in a separate indictment.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 591;
- R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 119.
- Date modified: